Friday, March 9, 2012

Update: First week at SKKU

It's been a while since my last post. Sorry for the delay.

Classes have begun at SKKU. Since I am participating in this program a year later than normal, my course options are pretty limited due to the fact that I have completed most of the courses that transfer back to UT. My resulting course schedule includes the following: Introduction to Automatic Control, Microprocessors, and Advanced Probability and Random Processes.

Intro to Automatic Control seems to be a relatively simple course in te world of electrical and computer engineering. It transfers directly to UT as a course by the same title. I have heard that the course is easy at UT and even more so at SKKU. Since it fulfills one of my few remaining graduation requirements, I was inclined to take it.

The second course is for funzies. It is labeled as a graduate course in the semiconductor college. So far, it seems to be a mix between EE460N and EE445S. We study the Intel 8086 in great detail, and throughout the course of the semester, each student will build his own embedded system from scratch, no development board from Freescale or ARM. [note: I have zero inclination to type "his/her" because there are literally zero (0) females registered for the course.] The material of the first two lectures was remedial for me, having completed Computer Architecture at UT, but next week we wil be given a box full of memory chips, a couple 8086 processors, a soldering iron, soldering and copper wire, other miscellaneous ICs, a perf-board, and some other electrical components. I'm pretty excited. Unfortunately, to my current knowledge, this course will not supply me with any useful credit at UT, but I'm very happy to study the material.

The final course is labeled a graduate course as well. From what I have read of the syllabus however, it is an exact match to EE351K at UT, and that is the credit I hope to acquire from taking it.

I was registered for a few other courses, but upon attending the lectures, learned that they would not be taught in English as previously advertised. Oh well.

The Automatic Control and Random Processes courses are taught in a mixture of English and Korean spoken by the professor, with course notes and lecture powerpoint completely in English. The Microprocessors course is completely in English. I am the only foreign student in the course, so I almost feel spoon-fed, but I won't complain. The professor is very nice, and I would even go as far as to say he likes me.

Obviously, with only three classes, I have a lot of free time. Right now, I use most of it for sleep. In a couple weeks, I will have the opportunity to enroll in a Korean language program that will consume most of my mornings, but, for now, I am enjoying the free time. When I am not in my dorm and not in class, I am usually with members of the HI Club, helping them recruit new members. They hang out under the student center and pass out flyers to timid freshmen.


The Student Center houses most of the student advising offices, including the international office, and the third floor contains offices of all of the student organizations and clubs. I have been told that next week the courtyard by the Samsung library will be littered with student clubs trying to recruit new members. I will update you with more information when that happens.

speaking of the Samsung Library.....
from the West


from the South[HDR]


This library is pretty awesome. The actually library [the room with books] is very small, considering the overall size of the building, but I'm more that likely never going to visit in search of a book. There are seven floors in total (I think?), and one floor is dedicated to lounge areas and a cafe.
___________________________________________________

Some random stuff:

My dorm building from the outside


My dorm's hall way



This chocolate milk is super tasty.


Anywho~ thanks for reading. I will try to keep my posts fairly regular and no more infrequent that once every two weeks.

~잘가

3 comments:

  1. How do you think your classmates perceive you, considering lessons are in English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school is an international magnet, so the students here are required to complete a number of courses in English. For them it is just another class. The professor speaks very slowly, so it is rather borring for me, but for the students that I have spoken to, his speech can be too quick sometimes. The situation is different from student to student dependent on their level of English proficiency.

      Delete
    2. ... but to answer your question more directly, I can only hope that they do not resent me for being able to quickly understand the lectures.

      Delete